Strong Boy - Chapter 1

Image result for girl and boy arm wrestling
Photo Credit: Dark Before Dusk

For the safety and anonymity of the characters involved, names and places have been changed.


“Did you see that GIF I posted on your wall?” said Amy with the blue eyes. She was looking at me, but she was not talking to me.

“The one with the snake wearing a pink top hat?” said Amy with the brown eyes. She was sitting behind me. Amy with the blue eyes knew I knew she was staring at me, but she did not care. The teacher had not arrived yet, and we were waiting for class to start, so she could do and say whatever she wanted.
          
“No, Amy, don’t be an idiot. You posted that one.”
           
"No, I didn’t! That was…” Brown-eyes Amy stopped breathing—this was her way of thinking—while blue-eyes Amy tapped her phone. She turned the phone and pointed it so I could see. “Watch.”
            
A middle-aged woman in the subway, not thin, not attractive, stood up, and a dab of red stained her seat. She threw her hands up in the air and danced like Ellen DeGeneres, then turned and twerked against the nearest passenger. In bold letters, it said, “WHEN YOU THINK YOU PREGNANT BUT YOU DEFINITELY NOT.”
            
“At least she got lucky,” spoke another girl leaning over us. Her name was Rachel.
            
Both Amys and Rachel laughed at me. They laughed so loudly that the good-looking quiet boy who dressed like a father and never argued about anything glanced in our direction. You would think they were talking about “lucky” as in the woman slept with someone. They were talking about a different kind of lucky.
            
Blue-eyes Amy said with a grin, “Some people aren’t so lucky, and nine months later…well...unless, they do something about that." She turned and spoke directly to me. "A slut should know.”

I was already standing from my seat.

“Oh! The whore is mad…” Rachel said under her breath. We were gathering a crowd of classmates. Even Travis, the boy who preferred watching disturbing YouTube channels to human interaction stood nearby, showing a rare interest in the lives around him. The quiet boy who dressed like my dad kept his nose down.

I snapped my right hand in front of Rachel’s face. “Bitch!” I yelled as I reached and grabbed something with my left hand.

I scanned the room and smiled. The teacher was still not in the classroom yet. “Well, Amy,” I smirked. Both Amys looked at me. “It’s funny, when you know someone’s secret. You can control that person, can’t you? It’s like you have power over them.”

I was tall for a sixteen-year-old, taller than all the Amys and Rachels, taller than most of the boys. I held my long arm high and tapped on blue-eyes Amy’s phone and opened up her gallery of photos. She squealed and tried to reach for it. First picture, a selfie on the couch. Second picture, she was in the bathroom. People were crowding around waiting for the next picture. I flipped through them, each one more embarrassing than the last one. Amy squealing and jumping, never had the sense to try and pants me or at least tickle. I was a very ticklish person, but Rachel and the Amys were too focused on the most important object in life—the cell phone.

Nervous the teacher would arrive, I released the phone from my hand. Amy caught it before it hit the ground. Everyone in the class “booed” as Amy scrambled to get away. The only person not crowded next to me was the handsome boy who dressed like a dad. His head was turned away from us. I think he was reading the homework assignment.
#
After class ended, I thought about the quiet, good-looking boy. His name was Carl K. Most of the guys in my class called him Carly because he spoke like a gentleman, and when a teenage boy speaks like a gentleman, it means he’s a momma’s boy. According to the unspoken rules of Vista View High, a momma’s boy was the equivalent of a girl, so they called him a girl’s name, Carly. Also, he would never fight anyone. He was big, tall and muscles stretched around his arms and legs. When you were a strong-looking boy, other strong boys would find reasons to fight you, but he never lifted a hand to anyone, not even when he was insulted or shoved.
           
He may be a good-looking boy, but he was also a nice boy. Girls liked him at first until they found out he was just a nice boy. According to the unspoken rules of Vista View High, a nice person was not simply kind and friendly. A nice person was also passive. Carl took a pass on all fights—whether they be fistfights or intellectual arguments. The teachers would describe this as a strong character trait, but as a proud advocate for justice myself, I saw this as a weakness. Therefore, I usually avoided him. Most of the time I forgot he existed. Until today.
            
“You judging me?” I stood above Carl as he sat outside on the lawn and ate his lunch. Travis from class was sitting within earshot, but not close enough to look like he was friends with Carl. He had his nose in his phone, so I ignored the extra presence.
            
“No, no I wasn’t,” Carl said, avoiding eye-contact. I tried not to laugh at the contradiction of a meek lion.
            
“Why aren’t you a jock? You’re obviously strong. I saw you carrying like, fifteen textbooks the other day.”
            
Travis looked up from his phone and laughed. He was listening to our conversation, to my annoyance.
            
Carl was visibly uncomfortable, but he took time to answer. “The guys on the football team are a little… different. I don’t usually hang out with those kinds of people.”
            
I took offense as my cousin was on the football team. “There are just a couple guys who get a little raunchy. They’re just saying stupid stuff. It’s pretty much harmless.”
            
“Harmless?” Carl said with soft tones—not a defensive note to be found. He had a wonderfully sleek jawline and dark, piercing eyes. Then, I remembered Amy screaming for her phone. Who was I to say what was harmless and stupid and what was not?
           
I turned red and clenched my fists. “Amy asked for that. If you had seen…”
            
“I saw what they did. I heard what they said.” Carl took another bite of his bologna sandwich.
            
“That was messed up,” Travis murmured, eyes still fixed on his phone.
            
Most people my age would leave and accept defeat, but I was used to defending myself. “Well, obviously you would have done nothing. I’ve never seen you do anything. At least I stood up for myself.” I inhaled sharply and added, “And you are judging me!”
            
Carl shrugged. “Sounds to me like you are judging yourself.”
            
Travis held up his phone and took a picture of me. Irritated, I grabbed the phone from him and held it above my head. Now was the time for Carl to do something. I waited, holding my arm back, ready to smash the phone against the concrete a few feet away. Travis jumped to his feet, his face pale. “Don’t drop it. Don’t drop it!” The boy’s voice raised to a scream that made the hairs on my arms stand up. I handed the phone back to Travis who sauntered away, a dark shadow over his eyes.

“Do you want to come over for dinner tonight?” Carl said. I tripped on a patch of grass, speechless.


Strong Boy - Chapter 2

Comments